A view looking towards Scarborough’s south bay from Marine Drive with the Toll House pictured right.
The Marine Drive was built as a toll road and in 1908 when the drive opened tolls were one penny for each person walking, riding on horseback or bicycle, travelling in a carriage, motor car or bath-chair.
Motor cycle tolls were two pence, plus one penny for each person riding or wheeling the machine.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-160330-103754050.