Postcard collector and local history enthusiast Charles Braithwaite has shared these historic images of buildings in Scarborough that have either been altered or demolished.
The cards show much-loved buildings that have now disappeared, such as the Floral Hall, and ones that are still standing, such as the Grand Hotel.
Mr Braithwaite said: “Regarding the Grand Hotel, of interest the two buildings in the forefront. The Olympia (1894-1975, destroyed by fire) housed ballroom dancing, roller skating, wrestling and films.
“On the left was known as the Windmill building, the remnant of a Victorian building which had for many years stretched along to the Nicholas cliff lift.
“It was mainly occupied by the Grand restaurant which could cater for 2,000 people at each sitting. It was bought by the Borough council in 1949 and mostly demolished to enable widening of Foreshore Road.”
Other places of interest include Burniston Barracks, which was in existence for 130 years. The flag was lowered for the last time on January 31, 1992, and the buildings were demolished in December 1993.
The Queen Street Wesleyan Church was destroyed by fire on February 26, 1915. Queen Street Central Hall was opened on this site in 1923.
The Fairview Hotel, on the corner of South Street and St Martin’s Avenue, became Fairview Court flats.
The building retains an attractive row of relief Tudor-style heads above the first floor windows.
The old Scarborough Hospital was located on Friars Way and when the present hospital was opened, the old building was taken over for manufacturing by a major clothing firm, and later demolished.
Other major buildings that have been demolished include: The Pavilion Hotel; The Waverley Temperance Hotel (facing the town centre, the site became the location of the Odeon cinema); Leighton Boarding House (alongside Vernon Road, site of the rear of Poundland; The Cambridge Hotel (corner of lower Ramshill Road and Cambridge Place).
Major hotels converted to flats include the Prince of Wales and The Wessex, both in Esplanade, and Gibsons in North Marine Road.