A teenager’s been arrested after a 10-year-old was set on fire with an aerosol can as he bathed.
Scarborough’s Mackenzy Teare has spent his birthday in a hospital burns ward after his brother’s 13-year-old friend allegedly burst in the bathroom and set the water ablaze by lighting a deodorant spray.
Mackenzy ‘s quick-thinking mum, Sarah, covered him in a wet towel - something she’d learned from Channel 4 programme ‘999: What’s Your Emergency?’
Paramedics told her that if she had not have taken such decisive action his burns - which run from his head to stomach - could have been much worse.
Mum-of-six Sarah told of how she was horrified to be faced with a screaming Mackenzy when he ran into the kitchen after the attack.
She said: “I had just bathed Mackenzy’s younger brothers on Sunday morning when I told him to hop into the bath after them.
“I was getting the kids ready and was about to get breakfast on when Mackenzy ran down the stairs screaming. He said he was burning.
“At first I thought he must have scalded himself with hot water but then I noticed his face was all burnt. I couldn’t understand it. How had a fire started in the bath?”
The 35-year-old mum-of-six, of Victoria Street, quickly got into action by covering him in a tepid wet towel that she grabbed from the clean washing pile and soaked under the tap.
She then called the ambulance and police, who have now bailed the teenager as they continue their investigation.
Mackenzy was rushed by ambulance to Scarborough Hospital and was then airlifted by helicopter 50 miles away to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.
Eye-witnesses told The Scarborough News: “We knew something bad must have happened as the air ambulance doesn’t just get called out for no reason.
“There were police cars flying about and it was all a bit crazy. I just hope the little lad is alright.”
His mum has now praised paramedics, adding: “The speed they got us to hospital was amazing. We got there in 15 minutes.
“And even in his pained, burned state Mackenzy loved it.”
Mackenzy is still bandaged up in the paediatric intensive care unit at the hospital.
The front and left-hand-side of his body, which was above the bath water, have been burned or singed by the horror blaze.
Mackenzy’s face was so swollen by the burns that he thought he looked like Shrek - something he thought was funny as he loves the character.
But his face is now blistered, with his nose and lips charred. His hair and eyebrows were singed and his left arm is the worst affected.
His left ear and left side of his neck and stomach also suffered.
Despite this, Mackenzy remains upbeat, and although confined to his room, he is playing on the Wii and watching DVDS.
Mum Sarah said: “He’s got such a beautiful little face, I’m so worried he’s going to be scarred. We just have to wait and see how bad it will be.”
Police confirmed a 13-year-old boy had been arrested and bailed on suspicion of wounding with intent.