THE historic bakery from which Woodhead’s started its empire has been closed by the company’s new owner and former rival Cooplands.
Fellow Scarborough bakers Cooplands took over 18 stores from Woodhead the Bakers when it went into administration at the end of March.
Now, two months down the line, Cooplands has closed down Woodhead’s oldest shop.
The Newlands Park Drive shop now lies empty with all Woodhead branding removed from its exterior.
Speculation arose when Cooplands took over the shop as it neighboured one of its existing branches on the small shopping parade.
The company would not comment on the closure, nor about the future of other former Woodhead shops which lie close to Cooplands bakeries, particularly the Falsgrave Road branch.
Cooplands has also doubled up on shops in Whitby, Driffield and Beverley as a result of the takeover.
The entire Woodhead the Bakers business started from the Newlands Park Drive shop, when the premises were bought by brothers Harold and George Woodhead in 1937.
From there they ran a small bakery and shop, taking 15s and 6d – the equivalent of 77.5p – on their first day in business.
In 1945 Woodheads bought a shop in Dean Road, and then another in Eastborough, both of which were supplied by the Newlands bakery. Further expansion came in 1951 when they bought the Woodlands Dairy bakery in Commercial Street, and the Woodlands shops in Aberdeen Walk and Ramshill Road.
By 1961 the firm was seeking more production space and moved to existing property at Beaconsfield Street, which was converted into Woodhead’s fully operational bakery in June 1961.
When the company went into administration in March it owned 29 stores.
Thirty jobs were lost immediately, though the remaining 280 staff were transferred as part of the takeover.
Cooplands bought 18 stores while Bakery Products Ltd took over the remaining 11 and the Beaconsfield Street bakery.