New project for market traders

Market Superintendent Terry Cullen pictured inside the market hall unit which is to be renovated.'120145b. Picture Kevin Allen.'06/01/12.
Market Superintendent Terry Cullen pictured inside the market hall unit which is to be renovated.'120145b. Picture Kevin Allen.'06/01/12.

n Scarborough’s market dates back to the 1800s.

In 1852, a large area occupied by butcher’s shops and slaughterhouses, among other trades, known as the Old Shambles, was cleared to make way for the new market building, which opened in 1853.

The designer was John Irvin and the building was constructed in the Tuscan style with a Whitby stone facade. The two roundels on the front of the Market Hall refer to the town’s long history of market trading.