Shake-up will lead to top officer departures

Scarborough Town Hall, St Thomas Street. Picture by Andrew Higgins 121831h
Scarborough Town Hall, St Thomas Street. Picture by Andrew Higgins 121831h
6
Have your say

The first four posts within Scarborough Council’s revised senior management structure have been revealed.

A spokesman said that final interviews were conducted on Monday and Tuesday with verbal offers made to:

• Hilary Jones – deputy chief executive

• Andy Skelton – director of service delivery

• Nick Edwards – director of business support

• Lisa Dixon – director of democratic and legal.

All four officers have accepted the verbal offers which will now be subject to formal contracts.

It is yet to be announced what will happen to: head of human resources Roger Kaye, strategic director David Archer, head of tourism Brian Bennett, head of planning and regeneration Pauline Elliott.

It is understood that Mr Archer, a key player in the renaissance activity, has signalled his intention to leave in a letter sent to all councillors.

Mr Kaye said: “This is a sensitive time for all of the officers concerned and, as such, we will not be commenting further at this time.”

The move follows last month’s news that four senior officers’ roles would go as the authority battles to save more than £7 million over the next three years in the face of swingeing Government cuts.

Under the proposal all of the existing top management posts would disappear – with the exception of the chief executive – to be replaced with the new structure.

A report is due to be presented to full council as soon as possible to formally put in place the new structure and make the necessary changes to the council’s constitution as part of the 2013/14 Budget Savings Strategy.

It is expected that all appointments are due to begin from April 1 next year.