Street lights will not be switched off in parts of Scarborough until at least May after councillors refused to rubber-stamp the controversial scheme.
So far North Yorkshire County Council has turned off more than 1,500 lights in the town between midnight and 5am in a bid to save cash and reduce energy.
It was originally hoped that work to convert 2,798 lights to part-time working would have been completed by the end of last month.
However, the scheme is now being delayed in Castle, Woodlands, Newby and Eastfield after councillors chose not approve the project amid fears the move will have an impact on community safety.
Cllr Janet Jefferson, vice chairman of the Yorkshire Coast and Moors Area Committee, which was recently updated on the project, said: “The county council is delaying rolling out the scheme in four wards until at least the end of May as a result of concerns in these divisions. Every area is different and in some cases there needed to be some amendments made.”
At present 43 per cent of street lights in the Scarborough town wards are being converted to part-time working, while 57 per cent have been excluded from the scheme.
Residents were given until November 19 last year to view and comment on the plans before a final decision was made. But some have complained they weren’t told when the work was going to start.
The county council is responsible for almost 50,000 street lights in the county.
The policy could see around 60 per cent of these switched off overnight.
In 2010/11, the cost of electricity for street lighting in the county was about £1.6 million. The scheme is aimed at reducing street lighting energy consumption in the hope it could save almost £400,000 a year.
Consultation on heritage lighting
Residents in Scarborough’s Old Town are set to be consulted on the controversial replacement of heritage street lamps in the next few months.
Last summer North Yorkshire County Council replaced corroding street lights - designed to look like original gas lamps - with temporary modern varities, sparking a huge public outcry.
Following the row, the cash-strapped authority said it was considering options for heritage lighting in conservation areas, which would involve a partnership with district councils or other bodies in order to share the higher costs.
Castle Ward councillor Janet Jefferson said designs had now been drawn up and she was waiting for feedback on how many needed to be replaced.
She said: “The lights will be in-keeping with the area and no final decision will be made until residents are consulted.”