Court order breached within days

A 44-YEAR-OLD Scarborough man has admitted breaching a restraining order just 10 days after it was imposed.

Richard John Stuart, of Eastborough, tried to speak to his former partner through an intercom system at her Westwood address.

The breach happened on Saturday and Stuart was arrested after his partner called the police.

He pleaded guilty at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court.

Steve Ovenden, prosecuting, said that the two-year restraining order was made on Wednesday, June 15, following Stuart’s conviction for harrassment.

He said: “The breach was on Saturday evening. He said ‘can we at least talk?’ but she said ‘no I’m going to call the police’.”

Mr Ovenden added that Stuart was later arrested and interviewed by police. He said: “He knew that he shouldn’t have done it but he couldn’t understand why she was being like this.”

He said that violence had not been a feature in the incident but it was a “clear breach”.

Mr Ovenden urged magistrates to add a condition be added to the order – that Stuart should not go within 100m of his former partner’s address – so there was no chance of a similar attempt at communication being made.

Ian Brickman, mitigating, said that the relationship between the pair had been fairly short and it had ended in May.

He added: “There is an issue whether it’d ended between the two of them or whether people told him it was over.

“He did try to contact this lady and when he was told face-to-face he accepted it had ended.

“There is no suggestion over the use of threats or violence. When the restraining order was put in place, as far as Mr Stuart was concerned, that was the end of the matter.”

However, Mr Brickman said that Stuart had spoken to friends during the weekend and he was given the impression that there was hope for the relationship.

“He didn’t take the order as seriously as he should have done and went to the address,” he said.

“In fairness there was no face-to-face contact – he pressed the interrcom and there was some distance between them.”

He added that Stuart had made a substantial reduction in his drinking – it was now just a couple of cans of beers per day compared with a daily intake of one or two bottles of spirits – after completing a detox programme.

Stuart was sentenced to a six-week curfew, between 7pm and 7am, £85 in court costs and ordered not to go within 100m of the Westwood address.