AN inquest has been opened into the death of a Scarborough pensioner to investigate whether a gas leak may have contributed to her dying.
Gwendolen Jessie Willins, 88, of Weaponness Valley Close, died in March this year.
Initial tests suggested she passed away as a result of natural causes.
However, around two weeks later, natural gas was found to have leaked into her property, with further enquiries made into the effects the leak may have had on her death.
The inquest yesterday heard Mrs Willins had been feeling unwell prior to her death and was not eating properly.
Professor Kevin Channer, from the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, in Sheffield, was asked if a gas leak could have caused the symptoms.
However, he said it was very difficult to say whether a small gas leak could have brought on the symptoms Mrs Willins was suffering from shortly before her death.
The inquest is expected to be concluded by the coroner today.