Man avoids jail over child videos

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A SCARBOROUGH man has avoided jail after being found in possession of more than 1,000 indecent photographs and videos of children.

David Bullamore, 50, of Westbourne Grove, was told by The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst that the public have strong views about people who look at such material.

Bullamore appeared before York Crown Court for sentencing having previously admitted 21 charges of making indecent photographs.

The charges related to a total of 1,342 images and five videos.

Matthew Stephenson, prosecuting, said that the items were found on Bullamore’s home computer following the execution by the police of a warrant to search the premises on September 25, 2010.

The court heard that the images, mainly of the least serious kind, but including a small number of more serious examples, depicted both male and female children aged between six and 14 years.

Representing Bullamore, Glenn Parsons told the court that his client was “deeply ashamed” about his actions.

Added that the mechanical engineer’s employers were monitoring the proceedings, Mr Parsons said that Bullamore also had medical difficulties.

Passing sentence, judge Ashurst said that sexual offender treatment would be of more benefit to the public than locking Bullamore away, adding that he was also taking into account the length of time it had taken the case to get to the court and the shame and embarrassment he had brought on himself.

Bullamore was placed under a community order with three years’ supervision and ordered to take part in a sex offender treatment programme.

He was also placed for five years on the Sex Offenders Register and under a Sex Offences Prevention Order restricting his use of the internet and contact with children under 16.

An order preventing Bullamore working with children was also passed.