Man guilty of harassment ‘plans to appeal’

A SCARBOROUGH man has been given a curfew and restraining order after being found guilty of harassment.

Gary Richard Mawer, 36, of Settrington Road, had denied the offence but was convicted during a trial at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court.

He was charged with harassing his former partner from June 1 2010 to February 17 2011.

His actions were said to include telephoning her daily in the morning, turning up at her house, banging on her door, driving past her house and sounding his car horn.

Mawer was also accused of deliberately turning up at shops where he knew the complainant would be.

Representing himself, Mawer said he was innocent of the allegations, adding that he wished to appeal against the trial decision and had already submitted papers to the crown court.

Magistrates gave Mawer a community sentence consisting of a three-month curfew from 7pm to 7am.

They also made a restraining order to prevent Mawer contacting his ex-partner in any way, except via solicitors, until further notice. No order was made for court costs.