Restraining order for partner attack

Scarborough Magistrates Court

Scarborough Magistrates Court

0
Have your say

A SCARBOROUGH man who admitted assaulting his former partner and leaving her “in fear of her life” has escaped a jail sentence.

Paul Jamie Normington, of Queen Street, appeared before Scarborough Magistrates facing two counts of assault relating to incidents on May 28 and June 9.

Katy Varlow, prosecuting, told the court how the 31-year-old had threatened his girlfriend after having a meal out.

Reading from the victim’s statement, she said: “We went to a carvery and I was chatting to a waiter.

“When we got home he strangled me and pushed his thumbs into my neck, saying ‘If I can’t have you no one can have you. You’re going to die.’”

She added that Normington had accused the woman of having sex with people at work, had argued with her about seeing her family and had ordered her to remove all traces of her past life from the house.

During the second incident, on June 9, the victim said she was sat in a chair by the window and Normington had threatened to “smash her face in”.

He hit her in the face with the palm of his hand and struck her over the head with a trainer.

In her statement the victim added that she had tried to leave Normington before, but he had taken an overdose.

She added: “I hope he’s sorry for what he’s done - not just for me but for my parents, who loved him like a son.”

Her injuries included swelling around the mouth, bruising and cuts to the inside of her lip.

Nick Tubbs, mitigating, told magistrates: “He hopes you will accept his apologies and immediate remorse for what he has done.

“He knows he must address these issues so nothing ever happens again of this sort.”

He added that his client was “frankly terrified” about the outcome of the case and that his employment had been terminated.

Normington was given a 24-month community order with a supervision requirement.

He was also ordered to complete the Integrated Domestic Abuse Programme (IDAP) and pay £85 court costs.

A two-year restraining order was also made which prevents the defendant from using or threatening violence towards the victim.