Two arrested as police admit faults

A leading police officer has admitted that attempts to curb the traffic chaos stemming from the arrival of the travellers this year “crashed and burned”

Inspector Leo Suret told Seamer Parish Council that opening the site earlier this year hadn’t eased traffic near the site as Scarborough Police had hoped.

In regards to crime, Inspector Suret said that, up until Tuesday evening, there had only been one incident resulting in arrests.

He added that traveller numbers are so far down on last years, falling to 173 from 192 in 2011.

However, despite the fall in numbers this year, he added: “There will be no situation where there’s no crime and no anti-social behaviour out of this.

“It would be naive to think so.”