A FORMER Scarborough tyre-fitter did not die from contact with asbestos, a coroner has ruled.
Gordon Innes, of Eastfield, passed away at Scarborough Hospital in September last year.
The inquest at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court heard a statement from Mr Innes’ daughter, Lynn Humphreys.
She said Mr Innes, 61, of Manham Hill, also worked at McCain’s for 25 years and had experienced medical problems in the years prior to his death.
She said: “My father had suffered with his lungs for some time, becoming very breathless.
“His lungs were diagnosed as being spongy and he had part of a lung removed.
“We could only think he was exposed to asbestos when he was a tyre-fitter because we knew you were exposed to it there.”
The inquest also heard from Dr David Morgan, a consultant pathologist at Scarborough Hospital, who said he had conducted tests on Mr Innes’ respiratory system.
He added: “There was a small quantity of asbestos that any person will have in their lungs.
“It was definitely not a significant increase.
“The results did not provide clear evidence of occupational experience of asbestos.”
Dr Morgan said Mr Innes died of a blockage to a lung artery and had suffered from deep vein thrombosis of his right leg.
Coroner Michael Oakley recorded a death of natural causes.