WORK has begun on the demolition of a disused church in Scarborough, which is set to make way for houses and commercial units
Wesley Methodist Church, on the corner of Hoxton Road and Columbus Ravine, is being knocked down and the site will be redeveloped by Thompson Homes.
A planning application was given the green light in November last year after a report was presented to members of Scarborough Council’s planning and development committee, which stated: “The proposal involves the erection of a terrace of four two-storey dwellings along the Hoxton Road frontage and two ground floor retail units with first floor office/storage above on the Columbus Ravine frontage.
“The corner unit would have a shop front onto Hoxton Road as well as onto Columbus Ravine.”
The plans had attracted some concerns from neighbours about access and security at the rear of their property, as they were worried that a security gate at the end of an alleyway next to the church may be removed.
However, planning officer Marcus Whitmore assured members that safety measures would be looked into closely.
The church was built in the early 20th century, replacing a site in Nelson Street.
The Scarborough Mercury report from April 28 1905 said: “For over 30 years the building known as the Nelson Street Wesleyan Chapel has done duty for the Wesleyans of that district, a district that has grown considerably of late, and still steadily increases.
“For a long time now the accommodation has not been sufficient and there has been a growing need for a more spacious building in which to worship.”