A decision on a proposed drainage scheme for a Cayton housing development has been delayed so councillors can study new information.
Developer Barratt Homes provided the technical specifications – it was proposed that surface water would be collected through rainwater gullies, held in underground storage, and then released at a controlled rate.
Last month the plan was rejected by members of Scarborough Council’s Planning Committee despite being supported by drainage engineers as well as organisations such as Yorkshire Water and the Environment Agency.
It is understood that the developer has lodged an appeal against the decision and the committee was due to reconsider it last Thursday.
Residents had raised concerns that an underground aquifer could be contaminated during flood conditions.
Cllr Simon Green said he could not understand why they were being asked to reconsider the plan – which was identical to the previous submission but Nick Read, from the council’s planning department, said that applicants were perfectly entitled to resubmit applications.
Committee chairman, Cllr Jane Mortimer, initially allowed a 10 minute break to allow members to read the specifications – but then ruled that the matter be deferred because the information was given just before the meeting.
She said: “Allowing a paper to be read – we’ve never done that before. We should defer until the next time. I shouldn’t have allowed these papers to be circulated and for that I apologise.”
Jill Low, the council’s planning manager, said that the report had taken the technical information into account when presenting the recommendation for approval.
She said: “It answers a lot of the technical questions raised.”