SCARBOROUGH residents will be given an early chance to snap up tickets for three summer shows at the town’s Open Air Theatre.
Around 1,000 tickets will be available for the each of the Dionne Warwick, Olly Murs and JLS gigs before they go on sale nationwide from Monday.
The batch of tickets for the Dionne Warwick concert will go on sale from tomorrow, Olly Murs seats will be up for grabs from Saturday while JLS tickets will be available from Sunday.
They will be available in person from the Escape 2 The Sands office, located within The Sands seafront apartment building in Peasholm Gap.
David Archer, strategic director of Scarborough Council, which booked the shows, said: “The council is pleased to be able to give local people the first opportunity to purchase tickets in advance of general sale.
“This is a fantastic opportunity to get your hands on what are promised to be sell-out gigs, before the rest of the country.”
Extra staff members have been drafted in to deal with what is expected to be high demand at the office.
Rachel Dean, director of the Sands, said: “We’re extremely excited to be able to do this. Hopefully it will be a big sell-out.
“We want things to run as smoothly as possible. Everything is in place. We’re looking forward to opening our doors on Friday.”
The ticket office will be open between 10am and 4pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A booking fee will be charged. The council have said it will be ‘nominal’ but the exact fee has not yet been set.
As revealed by the Evening News yesterday, tickets for Dionne Warwick and JLS will be £33 each while a seat at the Olly Murs show will cost £31. Sales will be limited to four per person.
The majority of the 1,000 seats for each gig will be situated in the central block of the theatre’s seating tier.
Multi-Grammy award winner Dionne Warwick will perform on June 6, chart-topper Olly Murs will take to the stage on July 15 and pin-ups JLS will perform on August 18.
More acts, as well as support acts for the trio which has already been booked, are expected to be announced by the council within the coming weeks.
On an account for the Open Air Theatre on micro-blogging website Twitter, it was claimed that a number of shows would be announced “very soon”.
It was stated that organisers were looking at booking comedians for the venue and that “band-lovers” would be catered for at the theatre this year.
... but still no sign of Apollo shows
ALTHOUGH excitement is building over the council-booked shows at the Open Air Theatre, there is no sign of an imminent announcement of acts booked by the venue’s operator.
Apollo Resorts and Leisure had originally been due to release a programme in November, but the announcement has been hit by a series of delays.
The company had previously said it would announce in January, but again stalled, blaming Scarborough Council.
Paul Gregg, the company’s chairman, told the Evening News last month that news of his shows could be out by mid-March, but a spokesperson for Apollo Resorts and Leisure said yesterday that he had not been told an announcement was imminent.
The spokesperson added: “There are still ongoing issues with the council that need to be resolved. We have not been given any date to make an announcement. We have had the programme since the beginning of the year and everything ready to announce. Our programme is looking great and it’s stuff that will really work. It’s very frustrating.”