A crushing end to the dump row

Contractors finally remove the tonnes of waste 113211a
Contractors finally remove the tonnes of waste 113211a

TONNES of waste which was dumped in a Scarborough field is finally being removed.

However, residents are still in the dark as to how it came to be dumped in the first place with no authorisation or permits.

The building waste, from a nearby Yorkshire Coast Homes development being built by Bramall Construction Ltd, was dumped in a field off Lightfoots Road, at the Rosevale Caravan Park in Sandybed.

A giant crushing machine was brought in, and the same trucks which took hundreds of tonnes of waste to the site are now carrying the pulverised remnants back along the quiet street.

Lightfoots Road resident Eileen Pettitt said: “We weren’t told what was going to happen. It all came out of the blue. We have since found out that they didn’t have the proper permission.

“All of a sudden the trucks were just constantly arriving and dumping with a lot of dust and noise.”

Many of the Lightfoots Road residents said that if permission to dump the waste had been applied for through the proper channels, they would have opposed it.

Several caravans, situated in land off Lightfoots Road in the caravan park, are even closer to where the waste was dumped.

Cllr John Ritchie, who represents the Falsgrave ward on Scarborough Council, has called for a full inquiry.

He said: “The council have got to get to the bottom of why this has happened.

“Residents can’t be treated in the way that they have been.

“I would have thought the council would want to find out why this has happened so that it doesn’t happen elsewhere in the future.”

Scarborough Council issued a temporary order to prevent the waste dumping in June. It was issued to Bramall Construction Ltd, sub-contractor East Yorkshire Recycling and landowner Salvador King.

Jill Low, Scarborough Council’s planning manager said: “The waste rubble deposited on the Rosedale Caravan Site at Lightfoot Lane has now been processed as agreed between the council and the contractors and all crushing and processing has stopped.

“The council has requested that the processed rubble is removed from the site and the contractors have agreed to complete this by October 1.”