AN expert in ocean engineering is being drafted in as part of an attempt to over throw proposed sea defences for the South Bay.
Scarborough Council is considering plans to put up a concrete slab running out to sea at the Spa.
The proposal is one of several options the authority is exploring after instructing consultants to provide solutions for protecting the sea defences at the Spa.
However the prospect of a concrete wall running 27 metres along and sloping 40 metres out to sea level, has outraged the Sons of Neptune campaign group.
The group, which fears the planned wall not only disrupt views but will divide the famous South Bay in two, is now instructing its own expert.
They have called upon Dr Bruce Denness, former professor of ocean engineering at Newcastle-upon-Tyne University, to provide his own report about the impacts of wall.
Freddie Drabble, one of the founding members of the Sons of Neptune, said: “The impacts of the options for the Spa are of such obvious concern that once again the Sons are instructing Dr Bruce Denness for an expert opinion. Most fortunately for this town his expertise includes not only tides and currents but also landslip.
“There is no-one better qualified we could turn to than Dr Denness to advise on the scheme due to his extensive knowledge both of local land stability and the impact of tides and currents in the South Bay.”
Dr Denness has previously been involved in investigations into both the Holbeck landslip and sewage disposal in to the sea in the North Bay.
Mr Drabble added Dr Denness’ local knowledge is further boosted by having access to advice from the former president of Scarborough Trinity House and past editor of Olsen’s Nautical Almanack, the late captain Sydney Smith MBE.
He said: “We just have to hope now that the council will actually take on board a second opinion and listen to what Dr Denness has to say.
Scarborough Council has stressed the proposal is just one of several options being considered and no decision had yet been made as to how £500,000 funding from the Environment Agency will be spend on protecting the defences at the Spa.
The cabinet decision is due to be taken at a meeting on December 15.