People to get say on collections

0
Have your say

PEOPLE in Scarborough could get a say in the future of waste collections in the area according to communities secretary Eric Pickles MP.

The news follows Monday’s second reading of the Localism Bill, in the House of Commons, where concerns were raised by opposition MPs that changes could jeopardise the development of the waste infrastructure needed to meet EU targets.

During the debate Mr Pickles praised the benefits of weekly collections and said: “Of course refuse collection is a matter for local people.”

He added that there was no incentive for councils to run fortnightly collections. “We have ended Labour’s bin taxes, and there will no longer be an incentive to have a fortnightly collection,” he said.

“If, on that basis, councils want to continue to have fortnightly collections, then good luck to them in facing their electorates.”

Fortnightly collections were introduced across the Scarborough area in October 2007 where household waste and recyclable bin collections took place on alternate weeks.

The scheme ensured that more waste was kept out of landfill but critics have raise fears of the danger from decaying food waste becoming a health hazard and attracting vermin.

Earlier this month Harry Briggs, the council’s recycling and waste enforcement manager, said that there were currently no plans to revert to weekly collections – but that would change if the council received direction from central government.

The bill will now be sent to the Commons’ Public Bill Committee for scrutiny.