Sir Jimmy Savile’s Scarborough grave was targeted by vandals last week, it has emerged.
The leader of Scarborough Council, Cllr Tom Fox, said bottles were smashed on the TV star’s grave on Thursday.
Plants were also picked up and scattered around the site at Woodlands Cemetery following allegations that the entertainer sexually abused teenage girls.
A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “At 4.30pm on Thursday police received reports that a person had been seen throwing a bottle at Sir Jimmy Savile’s grave but no damage was caused.”
It comes after the council announced it was reviewing security arrangements at the cemetery amid fears Savile’s £4,000 gravestone could be targeted following an attack on a plaque outside his former home.
The plaque, which was installed last month, was daubed with the words ‘rapist’ and ‘paedophile’.
Yesterday a footpath named in honour of Sir Jimmy only last month had its signs taken down as allegations of sexual abuse continue to surface.
A workman removed the signposts directing visitors to Scarborough seafront along Savile’s View on the Esplanade.
Cllr Fox said: “We have done that following the attack on the plaque and the grave. We thought it would be a focal point for demonstrations and vandalism and that would impact on residents in the area.”
Last week police said they had stepped up patrols around the footpath leading down to the Spa Bridge following the vandalism.
When the growing revelations began to surface, Scarborough’s Sir Jimmy Savile Memorial Steering Group, which was set up to honour his name, was forced to scrap plans to create a life-sized statue of Savile.
Sir Jimmy had a long-association with the town and was buried in Scarborough after his death on October 29, 2011, at the age of 84.
A Facebook campaign has been set up by residents in an attempt to disassociate the town from the former DJ.
The allegations against Sir Jimmy, made in an ITV documentary, suggest he abused under-age girls at the height of his fame in the 1960s and 1970s.
Some of the claims refer to incidents on BBC premises.
The corporation has apologised today and pledged a full inquiry after an investigation by the Metropolitan Police is concluded.