FIREFIGHTERS were called to a block of flats after a fire started on the hob of a kitchen worktop cooker during the early hours of the morning.
Two appliances from Scarborough Fire Station, as well as a turntable ladder, and an appliance from Filey were all sent to the scene in Granby Place, off Queen Street.
A North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said the fire was in a first floor flat in a three-storey building.
The alarm was raised at 4.47am on Saturday and the blaze caused 100 per cent fire damage to the object on the hob, 50 per cent smoke damage to the cooker, 20 per cent smoke damage to the room and 10 per cent smoke damage to the floor.
The spokeswoman added that the two people in the flat had tried to put out the flames and had used water to douse the fire. She said: “The water on to the fat had intensified the flames. However the fire did burn itself out.”
The cause was accidental due to an accumulation of fat and was out on the arrival of the fire crews.
Firefighters fitted three smoke alarms in communal areas because none were fitted before the incident.