Patient set alight during operation

Scarborough Hospital

Scarborough Hospital

0
Have your say

A PATIENT at Scarborough Hospital was set on fire during an operation.

The patient, who has not been named, caught alight during a routine procedure to clean their skin.

Hospital bosses said the victim was rushed to Castle Hill Hospital, in Hull, for urgent tests.

The patient was then transferred back to Scarborough Hospital but has now been discharged and is recovering at home.

The fire saw around 15 firefighters race to the scene but their assistance was not needed.

Hospital chiefs have apologised to the victim, adding they are “extremely sorry for any pain and distress caused”.

Liz Booth, the hospital’s director of operations, said: “I can confirm that during a surgical procedure a solution used to clean the skin ignited, causing skin burns to the patient.

“The skin burn was treated immediately and the patient was kept in hospital over night.

“As a precaution the patient was transferred to Castle Hill Hospital for further assessment and on return was discharged.

“We are extremely sorry for any pain and distress caused to the patient.

“A full investigation commenced within minutes of the incident occurring.

“A final report will be produced and shared with the family.”

The incident happened on Monday but was only revealed by the hospital yesterday.