Shocking over young drinkers

Alcohol ...... Teenage Drinking 112211b Picture Richard Ponter '30/05/11

Alcohol ...... Teenage Drinking 112211b Picture Richard Ponter '30/05/11

0
Have your say

CHILDREN as young as 11 are being treated at Scarborough Hospital for alcohol poisoning, shocking new figures show.

In the 2010/11 year, 40 under-16s were treated at the hospital’s accident and emergency department after drinking.

Among those taken to hospital after abusing alcohol were:

One 11-year-old

Two 12-year-olds

Five 13-year-olds

Eleven 14-year-olds

The figures also show that several young people were treated by Scarborough NHS Trust after taking drugs.

Carly Walker, strategy and commissioning manager at North Yorkshire County Council, said: “The county council commissions the Cambridge Centre in Scarborough to provide support to young people who are using drugs or alcohol.

“This includes one-to-one support and early intervention, family work and advice and information. Young people’s workers are in post to provide dedicated support to meet young people’s needs.

“Local organisations are aware of the issues that young people present with and work in a co-ordinated way to respond effectively.

“Training is being provided to staff to support them in delivering key messages to young people and to feel confident about supporting young people to resist pressure to take drugs or drink alcohol.”

Funding has also been secured by The Cambridge Centre from Comic Relief for a young women’s alcohol worker who will be working closely with the accident and emergency department at Scarborough Hospital and with young people who have been admitted to hospital due to an alcohol related problem.

“The key message is that most young people do not use drugs or drink alcohol,” Miss Walker said. “But there is support available for young people if they do need help.”

The figures, obtained by the Evening News under the Freedom of Information Act, include young children who were admitted to hospital after accidentally being poisoned.

Five one-year-olds and five two-year-old were treated for accidental ingestion.

Young people who want advice or information on drugs or alcohol should visit www.gimi.co.uk.