AN inquest into the death of a five-week-old baby girl from Kirkbymoorside has found that she died from natural causes.
Jessica Chloe Southren was found unresponsive at home by her parents on March 16.
An ambulance was called and she was taken to Scarborough Hospital, but was confirmed dead a short time later.
The inquest at Scarborough County Court heard how Jessica’s mother, Sarah Southren, had taken her to the doctor’s the day before as she looked pale and felt unusually warm.
She was told to give her daughter a tiny dose of Calpol, which she did, and Jessica improved later that day.
A tearful Ms Southren, who has two other children, told the inquest that she had struggled to settle her daughter down that night.
She said: “I fed her and we nodded off together in bed.”
Jessica lay in between her parents in bed and was found there unresponsive at 5.53am the next morning.
Giving evidence at the inquest, consultant pathologist Christopher Wright said following a post mortem examination, he had diagnosed sudden infant death syndrome.
He added that there was no evidence to suggest that the baby had been “overlain” by her parents.
Mr Wright explained: “Bed sharing can be a risk factor in sudden infant death syndrome.
“It is not completely understood, but is possibly linked to overheating.”
He added that at the time of her death, Jessica had a mild infection of the upper airways.
The coroner, Michael Oakley, recorded a verdict of death by natural causes.