SCARBOROUGH Council’s leader is due to make a key decision on the town’s sporting future on Friday.
Cllr Tom Fox will decide whether to publish three development briefs before the matter goes to the Cabinet next month.
Members of the council’s planning committee last week approved officers’ recommendations that the three documents be put out for public consultation and Friday’s decision is the next step in the process.
The council is due to consider publishing the three draft development briefs for consultation in connection with proposals for a new council owned sports and leisure village in Scarborough.
As well as the proposed sports development, which could include 2,000 capacity football stadium on the former Weaponness car and coach park, the plans would involve developing land at the existing Seamer Road Football Stadium, Filey Road Sports and Tennis Centre and remaining land at the Weaponness site.
Speaking at the meeting of the council’s planning committee Jill Low, the council’s planning manager, said: “It’s not our intention to rush it through – it’s very important we get as many comments as possible.”
Committee members heard a proposed timetable for the project which would include:
l A Cabinet decision by June 8
l Public consultation between June 13 and August 8
l Analysis of the feedback and planning committee site visits during August and September
l A cabinet decision on the report in October
l A full council decision in November
l A final draft report published on November 15.
The council will organise several exhibitions so people can examine the proposals and add their views to the feedback.
The moves could finally pave the way for the demolition of the former Athletic Ground, in Seamer Road, with 75 new homes expected to be built on the site.
If the plan is eventually approved it would deliver a host of facilities which could include the football ground, an outdoor multi–use games area for tennis and football, and a sports centre comprising an indoor hall, fitness suite, activity studio and squash courts.
A report into the proposed work, which could begin next year, shows the base capacity for the new Weaponness Valley stadium – built to Football Association Grade C standard – could extend to 3,000 in future seasons.
Cllr Jane Mortimer, the committee chairman, said: “It’s a huge facility for the future of the borough. It’s everybody’s decision, it’s our land, but it’s up to the people to look at it and say what they’d like to see there.”
It is understood that a total of 150 new homes could be built on all three sites – including 75 at the Seamer Road site.