Make a splash

One of the boats at last year's event at Wykeham Lakes. And below, The Sixth Form College team at last year's event.
One of the boats at last year's event at Wykeham Lakes. And below, The Sixth Form College team at last year's event.

A SCARBOROUGH club is aiming to breathe new fire into its dragon boat charity fundraiser.

Hundreds of people descended upon Wykeham Lakes last year for the inaugural Rotary Club of Scarborough Cavaliers’ dragon boat races

Twenty teams made a splash for cash on the day during a number of hard-fought races with all proceeds raised going towards the new children’s outpatients unit at Scarborough Hospital and various other local charities.

Now the club has announced plans for a repeat performance, with the event pencilled in for Sunday June 10.

Tom Potter, joint president of the Rotary Club of Scarborough Cavaliers, said: “The main focus of fundraising is to support the Scarborough based Rainbow Centre and in particular the purchase of a second hand van to collect surplus furniture, cookers etc and distribute to those in need in our community.

“There are large numbers of families and individuals in the area desperately needing this service. They already do a superb job but demand has outstripped the ability to supply; a van with tail lift is needed.”

The 2011 event raised almost £14,000 for charity including £8,000 for a children’s play area at the new children’s outpatients unit at Scarborough Hospital with the rest going to charities of the sponsor’s choice.

Mr Potter added: “If you missed it around 20 dragon boats raced across the Lakes in a series of heats. The food was good, the beer excellent and a great day was had by all.

“This year we are more ambitious. We want more boats, more involvement and more paddlers.”

People can help by sponsoring a boat and choosing the charity that 80 per cent of money raised goes to, the other 20 per cent goes to the Rainbow Centre project, or choose to direct all the money to this project.

They can also create or be part of a paddling team and commit to raising money through sponsorship - an expected £50 per paddler.

Alternatively people can simply attend the event as a spectator.