Man and woman in lounge fire escape

editorial image
3
Have your say

Firefighters urge people to check smoke alarms as they change clocks tonight - after a man and woman suffered smoke inhalation at a house fire in Scarborough.

The fire broke out in the lounge of the house in Prospect Mount Road at just after midnight this morning (Saturday) because a speaker was left too near to an electric fire. Firefighters say the smoke alarm at the house wasn’t working.

As part of their Tick Tock Test campaign, firefighters have been urging residents to check smoke alarms are fully working at the same time as they put clocks forward tonight.

“Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they work,” said a spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

“A working smoke alarm can buy you and your family the valuable time you need to get out, stay out and call 999.

“You’re four times more likely to survive a fire if you have a working smoke alarm.”

The man and the woman were treated by paramedics. The lounge suffered smoke damage.