Man rushed to hospital after chip pan blaze

Scarborough fire engines were called to a property after a late night fire
Scarborough fire engines were called to a property after a late night fire

A man was rushed to hospital after an unattended chip pan sparked a roaring blaze, which engulfed his Scarborough town centre flat late last night.

Firefighters raced to the blaze in Victoria Court after a passer-by spotted smoke pouring out of the three-storey flats at around 11.14pm.

Crews from Scarborough and Filey donned breathing equipment as they waded through the smoke, using hi-tech thermal imaging equipment to locate the stricken man.

They located and removed him from his first floor flat, the kitchen of which had been ravaged by flames.

He was carried outside by firefighters who gave him first aid, before he was rushed by ambulance to hospital.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue say he’s currently in a “stable and responsive condition”.

Another man escaped from his third floor flats unaided.

A fire investigation officer attended the incident, and has since concluded that an unattended chip pan was the cause of the blaze, which started in the flat of the injured man.