New Year’s Day tradition is back for 21st splashing year

In they go... Having a splashing time, the Scarborough Lions New Year's Day Dip. Picture by Andrew Higgins  120103c   01/01/12
In they go... Having a splashing time, the Scarborough Lions New Year's Day Dip. Picture by Andrew Higgins 120103c 01/01/12
10
Have your say

Daring fundraisers are being invited to brave the North Sea chill and take part in Scarborough’s annual New Year’s Day seafront tradition.

The Scarborough Lions New Year’s Day Dip is now in its 21st year, and is expected to raise thousands of pounds for local causes as dippers don fancy dress for a splash in the South Bay sea.

Sponsor forms for the event are now available so potential dippers can start fundraising for the chosen charities.

A spokesman for the Scarborough Lions said: “Would you like to raise moeny for your favourite charity or organisation?

“If so, then the Scarborough Lions can help, all you have to do is take part in our annual New Year’s Day Dip, with 75 per cent of your sponsorship money going to that charity or organisation and the remaining 25 per cent helping other local charities.

“You will be taking part in Scarborough’s major New Year’s Day event, attracting thousands of spectators, enjoying the spectacle and fun of the day.”

The New Year’s Day Dip is held on the foreshore on January 1.

Dippers and spectators are asked to assemble on the South Bay beach by 12pm ahead of fancy dress judging at 12.30pm, and they the Big Dip.

Sponsorship and registration forms are available by emailing aldeacon2004@yahoo.co.uk, or they can be picked up from The Scarborough News office in Aberdeen Walk, any Tourist Information in Scarborough, the Crown Tavern in Scalby Road, or from any of the Scarborough Lions.