The scene is East Ayton main street with Ye Olde Denison Arms Inne in the background with Union Jack hanging from the window.
The National Reserve was a register of eligible men and was maintained by Territorial Force County Associations. Registration was voluntary but complex rules applied. Its strength as at October 1, 1913 was 215,000 of all ranks.
In October 1914 the National Reserve was formed into Protection Companies, which were attached to existing Territorial Force battalions, for the guarding of railways and other vulnerable points in Britain.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection. Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-160229-083840050.