Nostalgia: Scarborough’s Valley Bridge

editorial image

Pictured is the opening ceremony of Scarborough’s Valley Bridge in July 1928.

After tolls were abolished by the council in 1919 work to widen and strengthen the bridge began in 1925.

The ceremony was performed by Mrs Ashley, wife of Wilfred Ashley, the Minister for Transport.

For such an important event at the height of summer there were surprisingly few spectators.

Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection. Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote this reference number YRN-151012-151330050.