An online petition has been set up in a last-ditch attempt to try and save Scarborough’s historic Futurist Theatre.
More than 100 signatures were added to the e-petition on Scarborough Council’s website within the first 24 hours.
Campaigner and councillor Janet Jefferson, who launched the petition, said she is hopeful that 5,000 people will eventually add their names to the campaign.
It comes in the same week that the venue appeared on the front page of The Stage newspaper as one of the country’s “top theatres at risk”.
The venue has been added to The Theatre Trust’s Risk Register, which is published annually.
The future of the theatre has been looking bleak since Scarborough Council’s decision earlier this year to allow “soft market testing” at the site, rather than fund any refurbishment work.
Futurist campaigner Patricia David said: “Although there are 10 theatres in the country in imminent danger of demolition, the Futurist is the only living, working theatre and is therefore at the top of their ‘fighting list’.
Ms David and fellow campaigners are now planning to present the council’s leader, Tom Fox, with thousands of signatures in support of the theatre.
The handover will take place at the Town Hall steps on November 4 between 1.15pm and 1.45pm.