Opposition to caravan park expansion plans

Cayton Bay Holiday Park from the air
Cayton Bay Holiday Park from the air
7
Have your say

Expansion plans by caravan park bosses to develop land for a further 34 vans have been met with opposition by neighbouring residents.

Cayton Bay Holiday Park has submitted at planning application to Scarborough Council seeking approval to extend its existing touring caravan site into open countryside next to the park and the A165.

Bosses at Park Resorts, which owns the site, argue that increasing the number of static units will strengthen the business, allowing it to “take advantage of increased demand for domestic holidays”.

The firm carried out Economic Impact Indicative Analysis to support the application, stating that 34 new units will directly create 3.9 jobs, generate an additional 5,200 visitors, create an additional 24,000 visitor nights and additional visitor expenditure of £360,000.

The plans however have attracted opposition from local residents, with 22 letters being sent to the authority speaking against the application. Objectors state the proposed site entrance is dangerous, and that existing drainage and flooding problems will get worse.

The plans have not won over the council’s planning officers either, as a report for the council’s planning committee, due to meet on Thursday, recommends the applicaiton is refused.

Planning manager Jill Low said: “Approval of this application would allow static caravans back where they were previously removed as part of a legal agreement that allowed significant visual improvement of the Cayton Bay approach and the provision of a vital grassland buffer to the A165.

“This application is an attemmpt to renege on the two agreements and in doing so create an unwanted encroachment into the open countryside, being detrimental to the appearance of this vital road appraoch into Scarborough and Cayton Bay in general.”

Bosses at Cayton Bay Holiday Park have also submitted an application for year round use of all static caravans, extending its season, which runs from March 1 to January 4, by two months.

There is only one objection to this proposal, which comes from a Mill Lane resident who raises concerns about increased traffic on an ‘already dangerous’ road. All other consulted parties support the plans.

Scarborough Council’s planning offiers are recommending councillors approve the plans, with the conditions that caravans shall be used for holiday purposes only and shall not be used as a person’s sole address. Planning manager Jill Low said: “Extending the season to all year round opening would result in increased spend in local shops and maintain employment.”