Summer to be salvaged at theatre?

editorial image
0
Have your say

THE entertainment on show in Scarborough this summer will top any other seaside resort in the country, it has been claimed.

An announcement on three ‘major’ musical acts which will perform at the town’s Open Air Theatre is imminent and further shows should be unveiled within the next fortnight.

Open Air Theatre

Open Air Theatre

The shows are being booked by Scarborough Council, which owns the £3.5 million venue, in the absence of an announcement from operator Apollo Resorts and Leisure.

Council sources have remained tight-lipped over the identity of the acts, which are all in the very final stages of contract negotiations, but they have promised that the Scarborough public will not be disappointed when the first shows for the 2012 season are unveiled. An official announcement could be made as soon as Friday.

Cllr David Jeffels, who holds the Scarborough Council portfolio for tourism, said the council shows, in addition to the Apollo events and entertainment at the Spa, Futurist and Stephen Joseph Theatre, will trump Scarborough’s competitors.

He said: “I think the programme that the council will be announcing at the Open Air Theatre will be well-received and will suit all tastes and ages.

“There’s a great line-up at the Futurist and the Spa Orchestra is in its centenary year. I think Scarborough will have the best entertainment of any seaside resort in the UK.”

Cllr Jeffels added that he had been disappointed that Apollo had not yet unveiled its line-up, which was originally expected in November, but said he hoped the council shows would compliment the operator’s acts when they are finally announced.

Paul Gregg, chairman of Apollo, has said the company’s programme is ready but that it won’t be made public until mid-March.