Temporary loos idea at North Bay flushed out

The previous toilets were demolished

The previous toilets were demolished

13
Have your say

Scarborough Council has rejected a plan for portable toilets on Marine Drive following the demolition of the loos at the former cafe in North Bay.

The loss of the toilets caused anger among residents, who have left their councillors in no doubt as to their anger at the council – leaving no public loos between Peasholm and Luna Park.

At last week’s full council meeting, council leader Cllr Derek Bastiman said the council was aware of the public’s feelings on the matter.

He said: “I can confirm that [portfolio holder] Cllr Mick Cockerill is looking into the possibility of installing portable WCs on Marine Drive.”

However, on Tuesday the council’s cabinet was told by Cllr Andrew Jenkinson that to put portable toilets there “would be a step backwards.”

Also on Tuesday, the council moved forward with the closure of more of the town’s public conveniences.

The St Helen’s Square toilets near the Market and the old loos near the Holbeck Clock will both shut following a review into the borough’s facilities.

Toilets that escaped the authority’s axe, including St Nicholas, North Bay Beach Management Centre and West Pier, will get transformed and get the “paddle-gate entry system” which will require the correct change.

In total £207,000 will be spent upgrading the toilets, as well as those in the north of the borough, to take the new system.

There is bad news for pensioners, children and large groups as the gate system would mean, in the council’s words, it would be “impossible” to offer concession pricing as there will be no attendant.

It will see everyone having to pay 40p to spend a penny.