Puppy starts house fire in Eastfield

Eastway, Eastfield

Eastway, Eastfield

9
Have your say

A puppy who was tempted by Yorkshire puddings left on top of the cooker managed to start a house fire in Eastway, Eastfield.

The incident, at 7.45pm on Tuesday, started when the pup, who was home alone, jumped up to reach the tasty treats and switched the hob on.

A pan sitting on the hob, along with its contents, caught fire. The fire spread to the hob and part of the kitchen, causing approximately five square metres of fire damage. The house was also smoke damaged throughout.

Two fire engines from Scarborough attended and two firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire.

They also used positive pressure ventilation to clear smoke from the property.

The smoke alarms did go off, but the family only discovered the fire on their return.

A spokesman from North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “The puppy was unharmed. It is not known if the puppy managed to eat any of the Yorkshire puddings.”

• Were you the family in question? Get in touch by calling The Scarborough News on (01723) 383817.