Residents put up in hotel for night

Becky Harper with her niece Jade and children Olivia and Michael were evacuated to the Falsgrave Community Centre. And below, Trevor, Kim and Joe Bloor
Becky Harper with her niece Jade and children Olivia and Michael were evacuated to the Falsgrave Community Centre. And below, Trevor, Kim and Joe Bloor
0
Have your say

DOZENS of Seamer Road residents woke up today in temporary accommodation after being evacuated from their homes because of the gas leak.

A total of 24 properties were empty throughout the night.

Seamer Road gas leak''Picture by Neil Silk 120626a'07/02/12

Seamer Road gas leak''Picture by Neil Silk 120626a'07/02/12

While some residents were allowed homes, others were not allowed to return to their properties.

Shelter and refreshments were provided at Falsgrave Road Community Centre.

Speaking from there yesterday residents remained upbeat.

Kim and Trevor Bloor, and their son Joe, could not get to their home in Seamer Road because of the closure. Mrs Bloor said: “When we went out this morning it really smelt of gas.

“We couldn’t believe it when we got back and the police wouldn’t let us home.

“We feel sorry for the people living nearer it. It is not just a little whiff, its a tremendous smell.”

Susan and Jonathan Davies, of Ewart Street, were unable to return home.

Mrs Davies, 59, said: “As we got nearer home we thought there had been an accident so we went the other way.

“They wouldn’t let us home though, not even if we parked further down and walked up.”

Judith and Brian Woodthorpe were on the edge of the cordon, but still had to be evacuated from their home.

Mrs Woodthorpe, 76, said: “They sent a mini bus to get us as I can’t walk.”

At around 4.45pm the all clear came for some residents to return home, with those from Beaconsfield Street, Salisbury Street and Seamer Street being escorted back to their properties.

However some were still considered to be within the danger zone, and were told they could not return home until the pipe is fixed.

For those without friends of relatives to stay with alternative accommodation was co-ordinated from the Falsgrave Road Community Centre, where representatives from Northern Gas Networks arranged overnight stays at the Premier Inn.

Provisions at Falsgrave Road Community Centre were overseen by Scarborough Council and North Yorkshire County Council, with help from staff at the centre and the Edgehill Community Association.

A spokesperson for Northern Gas said: “We would like to apologise for any inconvenience. We will do all that we can to minimise disruption while we complete the work.”