Scarborough woman in hotel fire drama

Premier Inn blaze

Premier Inn blaze

A Scarborough woman had a lucky escape after the hotel she was staying in caught fire.

Fire crews were called to the Premier Inn in Ham Lane, Ferry Meadows, Peterborough at 3.13am this morning.

Premier Inn blaze

Premier Inn blaze

A fire had broken out in the bin store and spread to a covered walkway area.

The hotel was evacuated and members of staff received praise by guests for bringing out duvets to keep people warm as they waited in the cold, many in just their pyjamas.

Scarborough Resident Jackie Smith, who was staying at the hotel said: “ About 3.30am this morning, residents at the Premier Inn were woken by the fire alarm, everyone left the building in an orderly fashion, in pyjamas and other night-time attire, probably thinking it was a false alarm.

"However, upon exiting the building, we were greeted by flames and smoke, burning the front covered walkway and bin area."

Premier Inn blaze

Premier Inn blaze

Mrs Smith, of Seamer, added: "Fire fighters arrived on the scene within minutes, and proceeded to douse the fire, taking some time to get it under control, but ensuring that there were no burning embers anywhere else in the roof walkway or roof area

“The walkway was virtually destroyed.

“There was no panic or confusion, and Premier Inn staff brought out duvets for people to keep themselves warm until they were able to return to their rooms by about 4.30am,

“Unfortunately Premier Inn’s 'guaranteed good night’s sleep or your money back' does not extend to fire incidents."

The cause of the fire was accidental.