Second Futurist break-in leaves security exposed

editorial image
0
Have your say

Pictures of a second break-in at the Futurist Theatre have emerged.

Last week The Scarborough News reported on how a member of the Abandoned Yorkshire Facebook page had gained entry to the theatre in early February, snapping pictures of the inside of the boarded up theatre.

Now another website, the 28 Days Later forum, show pictures of inside the Foreshore Road venue, which its author claims were taken on a visit in December 2014.

Judging by the comments on the post it appears the visitors got in via the roof of the building.

Scarborough Council said it had been made aware of the latest breach in security.

The pictures were posted by a user by the name of Catbalou who wrote: “I loved this place, it was a great place to mooch around in and I just wish I could have stayed a bit longer, as I’m sure there’s much more to see. “Visited with Sed…. Thanks for the company and the mucho hilarity on the roof.”

In the pictures that were taken in February the Abandoned Yorkshire photographer claimed they found the auditorium lights left on in the venue, in the shots that were taken in December the lights appear to be off in that part of the building.

Scarborough Council said that security at the venue had been stepped up following the emergence of the unauthorised visit earlier this month.

The fate of Scarborough’s Futurist Theatre will be decided at a council meeting on February 27.

Ahead of the meeting campaigners battling to save the venue, which once hosted The Beatles, were dealt a blow when English Heritage decided not to back a listing bid for the building.

The group is now appealing and is being supported in the process by The Theatres Trust.

Flamingo Land is proposing to build a ‘magic pebble-themed’ attraction with rollercoaster and space shot tower.