Woman treated after flat fire

News from the fire service
News from the fire service
4
Have your say

A woman has been taken to hospital following a fire at her flat in the early hours of this morning.

The fire broke out in the property in Scalby Road just after 1am.

A North Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: “Two fire engines and an aerial ladder platform from Scarborough, along with an additional fire engine from Filey, were called to reports of a fire in a flat on Scalby Road in Scarborough.

“The incident involved an electric health grill which had been left on top of the cooker.

“The occupier had then turned the wrong hob ring on which caused the health grill to ignite.

“There was fire damage to the health grill and cooker top and slight smoke damage to the kitchen.

“Fortunately there were smoke detectors fitted in the property - these have activated and raised the alarm.

“one female (aged approx 40) suffering slight smoke inhalation, has been taken to hospital by paramedics.

“Fire crews used 2 breathing apparatus, one hosereel and a positive pressure ventilation fan.”