Allen nets double in Heslerton win

Action from junior football, Ayton FC U-8's (red/blue) v Heslerton FC U8's, at Garth End Road, Sunday. Photo by Andrew Higgins 130125a 06/01/2013

Action from junior football, Ayton FC U-8's (red/blue) v Heslerton FC U8's, at Garth End Road, Sunday. Photo by Andrew Higgins 130125a 06/01/2013

Heslerton under-nines started the new year on a positive note with a 4-1 win at a battling Ayton Athletic side.

Charlie Thompson struck an early blow for the visitors, beating two men on a mazy dribble before firing home from 10 yards.

Heslerton’s confidence grew from their early success and goals from Tom Allen and Ben Flinton made it 3-0 to the visitors at the break.

In the second half Ayton hit back hard, earning a penalty which brought a fine save from Sam Owen low to his right.

Eventually the possession was converted into a chance, allowing the home side to pull a goal back.

As Ayton pushed forward the Heslerton defence came under further pressure with Will Maud and man of the match Logan Craggs putting in a number of last ditch tackles.

After a sustained period of defending, Heslerton finally managed to clear their lines allowing Allen to race up field to claim his second and put the match safe

Heslerton under-10s returned to league action after the festive break with a home 2-2 draw against Hunmanby.

The opening exchanges were dominated by Heslerton but were unable to give lone striker Richardson any chances early on.

Hunmanby started to get a foothold on the game and started to stretch Heslerton, luckily sweeper Ethan Smith was switched on and stopped a couple of good Hunmanby counter attacks.

The Hunmanby pressure told on 11 minutes when the Heslerton midfield failed to pick a player on the edge of the box his snapshot gave Ty Wood no chance.

Heslerton were soon on the attack and a great move down the right involving Hayward and Tom Stockdale carved open a great chance for Richardson his shot scuffing his shin and agonisingly going wide of the post with the keeper well beat.

Another chance fell to Richardson this time the keeper saving well.

With the clock ticking down a bit of Hayward magic mesmerised two defenders and a well-placed shot gave Heslerton a well-deserved equaliser just on half-time.

The second half started with Hunmanby on the attack and it took only a few minutes for them to take the lead again, Heslerton failed to clear their lines and Hunmanby took advantage of the poor clearance scoring from just inside the box.

Hayward took the resulting kick-off and duly placed a wicked shot straight into the roof of the net, the keeper unable to do nothing but help it on its way.

Both teams looked for the win in the final minutes, Heslerton throwing on Joel Buckle and Towse to try and make some impact.

Both teams went close but both keepers made important saves to keep the scores deadlocked.

A point each was a fair result after a well fought out draw.

Hayward took the man of the match trophy for two excellent goals, closely followed by the impressive Smith who never put a foot wrong as sweeper.

Heslerton travel to Holt this week looking to wrap up their first league double after beating the Scarborough-based side 3-2 earlier in the season.

Heslerton under-eights played away to Ayton in their first game of 2013 in a combination of fog and sunny conditions.

The game was to be Ayton’s that day but Heslerton never ever gave up battling.

Ayton managed to put relentless pressure on Heslerton and showed some good football skills and netted some good goals.

Heslerton defenders Noah Garnett, Jake Shepherdson and Char Blades battled with tackles throughout, while midfield duo Hayden Williamson and Charlie Richardson dominated the Heslerton game with constant pressure on Ayton’s attacks.

Brandon McCann, Dylan fawcett and Oliver Barnett tussled with the continued loose balls in a bid to get a break for our attackers.

Nathan Bennison and Jalen Welburn shared goalkeeping duties and had to make some essential saves and showed some good goal-kicking.

Both Jalen Welburn and Jake Shepherdson came close to scoring but the man of the match went to Charlie Richardson who never stops running for his team.

In the Scarborough & District FA Cup competitions Heslerton under-12s lost 5-2 at Burlington Jackdaws, while Heslerton under-15s suffered a 4-0 defeat at home to Brooklyn.




Back to the top of the page