Football will return for start of 16/17 season insists Fox

Weaponness car park
Weaponness car park

Football will return to Scarborough in time for the 2016/2017 season.

That’s the vow of outgoing council boss Tom Fox, who said the project is on track despite previous reports claiming kick-off was delayed until the following season.

And ahead of the long-awaited planning application in February, he told councillors that the authority was in “advanced talks” regarding the sale of the sporting sites.

They are being sold off by the authority to fund the ambitious Weaponness Leisure Village, which will have a new football ground as its centrepiece.

An “extensive” public consultation will be held at town hall next month, allowing people to have the closest look yet at the multi-million pound development.

The announcement came at Monday’s full council meeting.

There had been growing concern among Scarborough Athletic players and officials - as well as councillors - that the project may never see the light of day, due to extensive delays.