Fryirs fires Town to Driffield win

editorial image

Scarborough Town continued their perfect home record with a 10th successive win in a convincing 3-0 victory over Driffield FC to reinforce their promotion push in very windy conditions at McCain Sports Ground.

Town had the ball in the net within minutes, but the referee ruled that the ball had previously gone out of play. Driffield then created a chance when Jamie Kitching got his head to a long swirling cross but home keeper Rob Clark saved comfortably.

On eight minutes Jamie Patterson played a superb pass for Jamie Bradshaw to run onto, and although a last-ditch Driffield tackle seemed to have won the ball the referee decided to award a penalty which Patterson tucked away calmly to give Town the lead.

Chris Nelson set up another chance for Bradshaw, and this time goalkeeper Mark Briggs pulled off a fine save at the near post. On 16 minutes Town went further ahead, Neil Fryirs showing great strength and determination to gain possession and head goalwards before confidently beating the keeper.

Driffield’s Tom Spence gained a sight of goal but shot powerfully over the top, and as play switched back to the other end Ben Luntley raced away and drew the last defender before unselfishly setting up Fryirs for Town’s third goal on 23 minutes.

Town kept the pressure on, and Luntley beat his marker but shot just too high, then good footwork from Aidan Thomas earned a chance which was blocked and a follow-up from Fryirs which was deflected away for a corner, the ball then being played low across the goalmouth without a Town player getting the decisive touch.

On the stroke of half time Driffield seemed to have pulled a goal back, a long cross being headed back across goal and nodded in from short range, but the effort was controversially disallowed for offside.

The second half began with Briggs producing a great save to deny Bradshaw, Nelson hit a drive just wide, then Luntley went clear but Briggs once again came to his side’s rescue. After a spell of neat passing, Patterson hit a 20-yarder which the Driffield keeper fingertipped onto the post and away.

Town were playing with confidence but over-elaborating at times, allowing Driffield to nick the ball and break away, however the home defence were positionally sound and rock solid in the challenge. The away side played good football in midfield at times, showing the confidence of only having lost once in their last six outings.

Luntley powered a shot over the bar and Fryirs hit one straight at Briggs as Town tried to add to their tally, but at the other end Clark made a fine save from Chris Eyre. Town substitute Lee Cappleman added some inventiveness up front and set up a chance for Luntley but Briggs saved again. A late Driffield attack was ended by a great interception from Ricky Nock, and Town ended the game on the attack, Lewis Taylor having a shot blocked and Luntley narrowly missing the target.

Town: Clark, Pickles, Briggs, Nock, Gill (Taylor 59), Patterson, Thomas, Nelson (Cappleman 75), Luntley, Fryirs, Bradshaw (Collins 75).