Scarborough Athletic fans urged to be patient over Weaponness

weaponness valley coach park dec 09.jpg
weaponness valley coach park dec 09.jpg

With Scarborough Athletic’s move to Weaponness now delayed to the 2017-18 season, two big figures from the town’s footballing history have thrown their weight behind the club.

Scarborough FC legend Mitch Cook has piled praise on Boro’s board for keeping the club going in the difficult position of pulling fans into their Bridlington base, while Athletic’s first-ever chairman Simon Cope has encouraged supporters to be patient.

Cook said: “It is a massive shame, especially as it is seven years since the ground on Seamer Road closed.

“Since then the fans have been travelling to Brid, which can’t be right, I have every sympathy with all of them.

“You have to take your hat off to the people behind the club for keeping the potential of football in town going.”

Cope added: “I originally said that the club would do well to last five or six years in Bridlington, the longer the club stays away the more difficult it becomes to keep the club self-sustaining.

“It isn’t as though there are no plans in place for the future of the club. Fans just need to have faith because the sports village is happening.

“I’m not disappointed with how the club has fared. They have done very well, despite the fact that they have been hamstrung by playing in Brid.

“The key to the future has to be getting back to Scarborough. Then you can really get into the community and push on as a club.”