Holland frustration at Clayton debacle

Boro news
Boro news
0
Have your say

Scarborough Athletic chairman Dave Holland has revealed his frustration about the situation surrounding the on-off switch of winger Dan Clayton.

Boro boss Steve Kittrick released news earlier today that Clayton would be in his side for tonight's Evo-Stik North home clash against Spennymoor. But in the hours that followed, Tadcaster Albion and Clayton Tweeted that he was staying with the NCEL club, the wideman then text Kittrick about his decision.

Clayton started pre-season at Boro, who retained in dual registration, but he then moved on to sign for Tadcaster.

Holland said: "It is frustrating for us because Dan told us that he was unhappy at Tadcaster, he trained with us last week and he has regularly been liaising with our management team.

"Dan had decided that it was unfair to leave at such short notice, he played for Tadcaster on Saturday and then told us that he would be available for tonight's game against Spennymoor.

"We have now been informed that Dan has now spoken to the Tadcaster management team, who have persuaded him to stay on for the rest of the season or he may have used the situation as personal leverage.

"We apologise to our fans and to The Scarborough News for putting what was positive news in the public domain, but we did so following clear assurances from the player himself.

"I've always tried to work with other clubs and players past and present in a fair and honest manner, but this leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

"The whole situation has done nobody any good. I'm sure it doesn't benefit the player and I doubt Tadcaster will be too keen on what has happened."