Seating on pavement: Scarborough Council says it welcomes applications from pubs, cafes and restaurants

Scarborough Council says it is “welcoming” applications for pavement licences from hospitality businesses that want to temporarily increase their seating capacity by serving customers outdoors.

By Carl Gavaghan, Local Democracy Reporting Service
Friday, 7th August 2020, 12:36 pm
Updated Friday, 7th August 2020, 12:42 pm

As reported on our website, applications have already been lodged under the scheme by premises including the JD Wetherspoon pub the Lord Rosebery and Pomodoro Pizzeria in Scarborough.

The new government legislation, designed to promote economic recovery and growth in response to the coronavirus pandemic, has introduced an easier pavement licence application process for businesses that already serve food and drink.

Planning permission is also temporarily waived for pavement licences.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The Lord Rosebery

The aim of the legislation is to help protect hospitality businesses and give them the opportunity to maximise their income potential whilst social distancing measures remain in place.

Businesses can get more information and apply for a pavement licence online at

The application fee is £50. Applications will be determined within 14 days (excluding bank holidays) from the day the application is submitted.

As part of the decision-making process, the council will consult with its own environmental health team, the highways authority, North Yorkshire Police and the public.


Cllr Michelle Donohue-Moncrieff, Scarborough Council’s cabinet member for Environment and Sustainability, said: “We continue to be fully committed to helping the borough’s businesses bounce back from the impacts of coronavirus.

“Our licensing officers are adopting a positive approach to granting pavement licence applications although they have to consider the legitimate concerns of consultees fairly before deciding whether to grant a licence.”

A pavement licence is not required for pub car parks or beer gardens unless the land is owned by the highways authority.

Businesses who already have a street café licence issued by North Yorkshire County Council will not be required to apply for a new pavement licence.

SCARBOROUGH: Council welcomes pavement applications

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you

Jean MacQuarrie