Scarborough's annual William Street Fair scrapped over fears of Covid-19 spreading

A funfair planned to take place later this month in Scarborough has been scrapped over fears about the possible spread of Covid-19.

Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 12:39 pm
Updated Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 12:41 pm
Bumper fun at the fair.

Shaw’s and International Funfairs, the organisers of Scarborough’s annual William Street Fair, and Scarborough Borough Council have today said they have jointly decided to cancel this year’s event, which was due to take place between September 30 and October 3.

Since last week, a number of concerns had been raised online by members of the public over how social distancing would be maintained at a time when the number of coronavirus cases in the borough is spiking.

Over the weekend, borough councillor Bill Chatt also raised his fears with the authority, which owns the car park where the fair would have been held, saying it was “strange” it was being allowed to continue.

One of the fair's more traditional rides.

The concerns began as adverts for the fair began appearing online.

Today, in a joint statement, the organisers and the council said that it now not be going ahead.

They said: “The fair has a good reputation with local residents and those that come back to enjoy it year after year for being safe and well managed.

“Therefore in light of the ever-changing situation with the Covid-19 pandemic, in particular the implications of the new ‘rule of six’ and the rising infection rate among young people, for whom the fair is a popular evening out, the event will not take place this year.

“We know loyal fans of the fair will be disappointed, but we have to put their safety and that of the local community and fairground staff first.

“We hope the situation will allow the fair to make a welcome return to Scarborough in September 2021.”

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive.

We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you,

Jean MacQuarrie, Editor-in-Chief