Major outbreak of Covid at Scarborough care home: 'Up to 46 of the 54 residents tested positive'

A major outbreak of Covid-19 has been confirmed at a Scarborough care home.

Wednesday, 18th November 2020, 4:03 pm
Updated Wednesday, 18th November 2020, 4:06 pm

The family of a resident at Castle Grange Care Home, on Dean Road, claimed that last week as many as 46 of the 54 residents, along with seven members of staff, had tested positive for the disease.

Scarborough and Whitby MP Robert Goodwill said that North Yorkshire County Council officials had confirmed a “significant” outbreak to him.

Castle Grange is run by Burlington Care Ltd, based at Carnaby, Bridlington. Today, a spokesperson told The Scarborough News: “On this occasion we have no comment to make. Our primary aim is to protect our residents; their health, wellbeing and care, is and always will be, our first priority.”

Castle Grange Care Home, on Dean Road.

Cathy Taylor-Marshall, whose 78-year-old stepfather Norman Hopkin is a resident who tested positive, said families had not been kept informed.

She said she had been told last week that 46 of the 54 residents, and seven staff, had tested positive. Staff were isolating inside the home.

Mrs Taylor-Marshall said she received different snippets of information from different members of staff and called on the home to be more “open and honest” with relatives.

“We need to have confidence this is being properly dealt with,” she said. “They need to say ‘yes we have it and this is our action plan and we are dealing with it.’”

Mr Goodwill, who had been contacted by two families with loved ones at the home, said the issue was raised at a weekly meeting between the region’s MPs and council

officials.

He said: “I am aware there were some cases and sadly quite a large number of residents have the disease.

“This was discussed at our weekly meeting and the county council was very aware of the fact it’s in this home. Sadly it seems to have spread quite widely.”

Mr Goodwill said the outbreak was “quite significant” and added: “With high levels of infection in the community it is likely that people in care settings will come into contact with the disease.

“I am in daily contact with the county council and they are monitoring the situation both there and at other homes in the county.”

Mr Goodwill said families had questioned the “cruel decision” not to allow them to visit loved ones in care homes, and while he shared those feelings, the current outbreaks “underlined the logic” behind such caution.

Richard Webb, Corporate Director for Health and Adult Services at North Yorkshire County Council, said: “We are working with Public Health England, the Care Quality Commission and NHS partners to support Castle Grange Care Home to keep the residents as safe and healthy as possible.

“It’s our priority that everyone living in care settings across the county are safe and well looked after.

“In support of that we have implemented a number of actions to support this home.

“Since the start of the pandemic, we have provided additional practical help and/or funding to care providers for matters such as PPE, cohorting of staff and residents, training and infection control.

“Our joint focus is on prevention and containment of the virus.

“A great deal of expert advice and support is available for all care homes in the county as and when they need it.”