Forge Valley Station once served popular beauty spot

editorial image

Forge Valley railway station was situated on the North Eastern Railway’s Pickering to Seamer branch line.

It served East and West Ayton, and the local beauty spot at Forge Valley. The station opened to passenger traffic on May 1, 1882, and closed on June 3, 1950.

The station was named Forge Valley and not Ayton so as to avoid confusion with Great Ayton station which is on the Middlesbrough to Whitby line.

For reprints telephone 0330 1230203 and quote YRN-180629-151739050.